Skip to main content

Fairfax Connector bus drivers again warn of a strike 

Two months after Fairfax Connector bus drivers and maintenance workers in Virginia returned to their jobs following a brief strike, more than 500 members of the Amalgamated Transit Union are threatening to walk off their jobs again on Thursday.

Fairfax Connector carries 30,000 riders a day on 91 different routes. It’s administered by Fairfax County and operated and maintained by the French company Transdev.

“Transdev is back to doing what they do best — stalling. They’re not bargaining fair again,” said John Costa, Amalgamated Transit Union International president.

The county helped negotiate a return-to-work agreement in December, but members of ATU Local 1764 continue to work without a contract. The union said talks remain far apart on wages, health care and retirement benefits.

“Transdev needs to settle a contract here. They need to quit with their unfair labor practices; they need to level with the union and start showing their employees the respect that they deserve,” said John Ertl, ATU labor negotiator.

Transdev signed a five-year contract in July to operate Fairfax County’s bus system, the largest local bus system in Northern Virginia.

The labor union said that it is committed to bargaining with Transdev, but that riders should be ready for the possibility of a strike as soon as Thursday.

“Commuters need to prepare, and that’s why we have the 72-hour notice. We don’t want to have this disruption either, but Transdev has really given us no choice. We need to get Transdev to stop with their unfair labor practices and give us a fair contract, or there will be a strike,” Ertl said.

Transdev told WTOP the following in a statement:

“We were disappointed to receive notification from the ATU of their intent to exercise their right to strike. The notice was received immediately prior to our scheduled February 17th, 18th and 19th negotiating sessions which had been scheduled by mutual agreement over a month ago. Transdev believes a fair and equitable agreement can be reached through good faith negotiations without the need to resort to a service disruption.”

WTOP has reached out to Fairfax County for comment.

Metro and IndyCar team up for a busy weekend of Freedom 250 Grand Prix events

No, you weren't hallucinating Thursday morning — that was an IndyCar being pulled along the Metro tracks through a portion of D.C. It was part of a promotion between the Freedom 250 Grand Prix and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to remind people that the best way to navigate the expected huge crowds this weekend is to take Metro. "Even IndyCar knows the fastest way to get around is actually on Metro," said Randy Clarke, the transit agency's general manager and CEO. "We're really excited about this, and this car was a really kind of fun way to show a different way that people can see the Metro system, and we're having a little fun." The IndyCar, described as a work car that will not run in any of the races scheduled over the weekend, was fastened aboard a flat-bed train car and pulled along the yellow line, beginning at the King Street station up to the Mount Vernon station then back south to the L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro riders gawked at the multicolored, low-profile racecar as the train paused at L'Enfant for a photo op.
Read Next Story