Skip to main content

Union Station overhaul takes new direction as Trump administration scraps approved expansion plan

President Donald Trump’s administration is stopping a long-planned Union Station expansion project dead in its tracks.

Instead, the Department of Transportation intends to pursue a new public-private partnership rather than move forward with a federally approved expansion plan approved under the Biden administration.

Related stories

The announcement last week comes just months after Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced $466 million for structural repairs, concourse expansion, security enhancements and other improvements at the station.

Now, the department is setting aside another $24 million to help develop a new vision for Union Station’s future through a public-private partnership.

“Overhauling the historic Washington Union Station is a pivotal part of President Trump’s plan to make D.C. beautiful and safe. This is the gateway to our nation’s capital, it’s time its infrastructure reflect that,” Duffy said in a news release last week.

The roughly $8.8 billion plan approved under the Biden administration had been years in the making and received final federal approval in 2024. It included bringing a new train hall, expanded tracks and platforms, a new bus terminal and other upgrades designed to accommodate future growth in rail travel. It also promised to increase the station’s passenger capacity significantly.

A spokesperson for the D.C. Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning & Economic Development told WTOP, “Union Station is beautiful and deserves investment to increase capacity, improve safety, and be a great American regional transportation center and asset to the nation. This project has been a longtime priority because our world-class city deserves a train station of the same standard.”

Duffy said the new path forward would ensure long-term profitability for “this gorgeous transportation monument” while creating a public-private partnership to deliver upgrades and improve the passenger experience.

What’s still unclear is what a replacement plan will look like, how much it will cost, and whether it will deliver the same rail capacity envisioned under the discarded proposal.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Metro and IndyCar team up for a busy weekend of Freedom 250 Grand Prix events

No, you weren't hallucinating Thursday morning — that was an IndyCar being pulled along the Metro tracks through a portion of D.C. It was part of a promotion between the Freedom 250 Grand Prix and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to remind people that the best way to navigate the expected huge crowds this weekend is to take Metro. "Even IndyCar knows the fastest way to get around is actually on Metro," said Randy Clarke, the transit agency's general manager and CEO. "We're really excited about this, and this car was a really kind of fun way to show a different way that people can see the Metro system, and we're having a little fun." The IndyCar, described as a work car that will not run in any of the races scheduled over the weekend, was fastened aboard a flat-bed train car and pulled along the yellow line, beginning at the King Street station up to the Mount Vernon station then back south to the L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro riders gawked at the multicolored, low-profile racecar as the train paused at L'Enfant for a photo op.
Read Next Story