Skip to main content

Metro responds to criticism of shutdown plans for Blue, Yellow lines

WASHINGTON — Metro leaders are responding to criticism following its announcement that a busy section of the system will be shut down next summer for repairs.

“It is a result of 15, 20, 25 years of neglect,” said Metro Board Chair Jack Evans.

After the transit agency announced the shutdown of the Blue and Yellow lines south of Reagan National Airport, some local leaders said the move came as a surprise to them. Evans said it should not have come as a surprise, since he said last year that more big Metro projects would come after the scheduled track work surge, dubbed Safe Track, was completed last year.

“For people to now say they are unaware of it is surprising, but not unusual,” Evans said.

The work next summer will begin on Memorial Day and end on Labor Day, which translates to 98 days of no-service for people who used the trains to get in and out of Alexandria, Virginia.

“We will work with all the jurisdictions to try and make this easier, but it is not going to be easy,” Evans said.

Related Stories

Not everyone on Metro’s board, was on board with how the announcement was made. Michael Goldman, who represents Maryland on the board said riders need to know what their options will be during the shutdown.

“I’m just struck by the real lack of a mitigation plan for the riders, which is announced at the same time,” Goldman said.

He recommended that Metro by year’s end come out with a plan to help riders navigate the down section of the lines. He also encouraged incentives for riders, such as free parking at Metro stations affected by the shutdown.

Evans said the transit agency has all options on the table including looking into express buses and ride-sharing alternatives for affected riders.

Right now Evans said the goal is making sure riders know the shutdown is coming in 14 months.

Evans said everyone should be aware that other portions of the system could see similar projects in the future.

“We’re coming, this whole system has to be rebuilt, so we will get to everybody at some point in time. That’s the reality of this situation,” Evans said.

Metro and IndyCar team up for a busy weekend of Freedom 250 Grand Prix events

No, you weren't hallucinating Thursday morning — that was an IndyCar being pulled along the Metro tracks through a portion of D.C. It was part of a promotion between the Freedom 250 Grand Prix and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to remind people that the best way to navigate the expected huge crowds this weekend is to take Metro. "Even IndyCar knows the fastest way to get around is actually on Metro," said Randy Clarke, the transit agency's general manager and CEO. "We're really excited about this, and this car was a really kind of fun way to show a different way that people can see the Metro system, and we're having a little fun." The IndyCar, described as a work car that will not run in any of the races scheduled over the weekend, was fastened aboard a flat-bed train car and pulled along the yellow line, beginning at the King Street station up to the Mount Vernon station then back south to the L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro riders gawked at the multicolored, low-profile racecar as the train paused at L'Enfant for a photo op.
Read Next Story