Skip to main content

Metro tries to recover from losing first GM choice

WASHINGTON — Metro is trying to quickly recover from losing its first choice to be the next general manager.

D.C. Councilman Jack Evans says the Board of Directors should know Wednesday whether it will have a new candidate willing to accept the position.

Sources told WTOP last week that the name could be Paul Wiedefeld, the former head of Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

Evans adds that Neal Cohen decided against taking the job because it was bigger than he thought it would be.

He also expressed frustration at the media leaks and the press scrutiny with the job.

Metro and IndyCar team up for a busy weekend of Freedom 250 Grand Prix events

No, you weren't hallucinating Thursday morning — that was an IndyCar being pulled along the Metro tracks through a portion of D.C. It was part of a promotion between the Freedom 250 Grand Prix and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to remind people that the best way to navigate the expected huge crowds this weekend is to take Metro. "Even IndyCar knows the fastest way to get around is actually on Metro," said Randy Clarke, the transit agency's general manager and CEO. "We're really excited about this, and this car was a really kind of fun way to show a different way that people can see the Metro system, and we're having a little fun." The IndyCar, described as a work car that will not run in any of the races scheduled over the weekend, was fastened aboard a flat-bed train car and pulled along the yellow line, beginning at the King Street station up to the Mount Vernon station then back south to the L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro riders gawked at the multicolored, low-profile racecar as the train paused at L'Enfant for a photo op.
Read Next Story