Skip to main content

Before the ‘carnage’, Montgomery County fair makes the midway a little calmer

For some people with sensory issues, the noise and lights of a carnival can be too much of a good thing.

That’s why organizers of the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair say they’re hosting a sensory-friendly morning on the midway Monday.

Related stories

From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., the flashing lights and music from carnival rides and vendor booths will be switched off, and a quiet space will be available in what’s called the chill-out zone, according to organizers of the fair, located in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

“The space is designed for anyone who may benefit from a temporary reduction in sensory stimulation,” said Marty Svrcek, the fair’s executive director. “This includes, but isn’t limited to, individuals with ASD, ADHD, anxiety disorders, those who become overstimulated.”

Gaithersburg’s inclusion program arranges a variety of sensory-friendly events for recreational activities throughout the year.

“We not only have the carnival and the rest of the fair operations shutting down noises,” Svrcek said. “We’ve provided a whole sensory space inside our ‘Chilly Mall,’ where folks can go and find the kind of support that they might need.”

What else is planned at this year’s fair?

For the fair itself, Svrcek said people keep coming back because “it’s animals, food, entertainment and rides, and we offer all of those items once a year for nine days.”

Obviously, when it comes to the monster trucks: “We’ll have our night of destruction … demolition derby, trailer races and all kinds of carnage in the grandstand.”

The sensory-friendly event is planned partway through the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair’s nine day run, from Aug. 14 to 22. Admission is free for kids ages 11 and under; tickets are available online.

“This is a celebration of America,” Svrcek said. “We’re doing a lot of patriotic decorations.”

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Deadly Annapolis home explosion deemed accidental, authorities say

The house explosion Wednesday in Annapolis, Maryland, that left a woman dead and another seriously hurt was an accident, authorities said Friday. A preliminary investigation by Anne Arundel County fire, arson and explosives unit also determined that a propane company's visit to the home earlier that day played no part in the explosion. Fire crews arrived at the home on the 1100 block of Green Holly Drive just after 12:20 p.m. on Wednesday in response to 911 calls from neighbors. The second floor of the single-family house had collapsed onto the first floor, officials said. Linda Synowczynski, 76, suffered from cardiac arrest and died at the scene. A man rescued from the debris suffered significant burns and was taken Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in critical condition.
Read Next Story