Skip to main content

Democrats begin probe into prosecution linked to Reflecting Pool

The ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin, has announced an investigation into the Trump administration’s prosecution of a former Olympian who was accused of vandalizing the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

A felony charge against David Hearn was recently dropped by the U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro.

She contradicted President Donald Trump’s repeated allegations that vandalism was to blame for paint peeling and floating around in the pool.

“Given all of this newly discovered information, it is difficult to attribute the widespread damage to the Reflecting Pool to vandalism, let alone to establish that fact beyond a reasonable doubt,” she said in a court filing.

Raskin on Tuesday sent a letter to Pirro and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, who has supported the president’s claims related to vandalism.

“Did the United States Attorney’s Office for D.C. in fact maliciously prosecute an American citizen it knew to be innocent with a felony charge carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison?” Raskin asked. “Did the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) deliberately mislead prosecutors to cover up a ‘botched’ renovation by a company awarded a dubious $15 million insider no-bid contract?”

Raskin presented a long list of questions related to the prosecution and sharply criticized the president’s earlier claims about what a great job the contractor would do.

“President Trump’s ‘highly sophisticated’ and slapdash paint job didn’t even last 100 days, much less a century,” Raskin said.

Trump still upset with Pirro

Trump has been highly critical of Pirro for dropping the case against Hearn and summoned her to the White House last week after complaining that she “folded like an umbrella.”

Pirro reportedly is upset with Burgum for not providing her office with information that could have prevented the embarrassment of bringing a high-profile indictment, only to drop it.

Related stories

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that the White House is asking the Justice Department to reconsider bringing a charge against Hearn.

Legal experts say that would be highly unusual, given how thin the original case was against Hearn, a former Olympic canoeist, who denied vandalizing paint in the pool.

Charges against several others, who faced misdemeanor charges, were also dropped.

The White House reportedly wants to see if Hearn could be charged with a misdemeanor instead of a felony, which would not require a grand jury.

As for Raskin’s request for more information about the case, he’s asked that the administration provide documents related to Hearn’s prosecution and why he was charged with a felony by Aug. 25.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Trump will kick off the IndyCar race in the Beast before cars zoom through Washington’s streets

WASHINGTON (AP) — For once, things will be moving quickly in bureaucratic Washington, D.C., when the nation’s capital hosts an IndyCar race through its streets. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump are scheduled to watch Sunday’s Freedom 250 Grand Prix as the cars whip through the city’s downtown, including a stretch along Pennsylvania Avenue not too far from the White House. “Their beautiful cars are going to make freedom roar. This will be a freedom that’s roaring like never before,” Trump said at the White House earlier this month as he promoted the event. Before the race, Trump and his wife will lead a traditional prerace kickoff in his presidential limo, U.S. Ambassador Monica Crowley, Trump’s liaison to the organizing group America250, said in an interview on Fox Business on Friday.
Read Next Story