Skip to main content

Harris expects thousands to attend Ellipse speech as Election Day nears

Sign up for WTOP’s Election Desk newsletter for headlines and analysis from now until Inauguration Day and visit WTOP’s Election 2024 page for our comprehensive coverage.

Democratic presidential nominee Vice President Kamala Harris will bring her final case to the American people with a campaign speech from the Ellipse in D.C. Tuesday, according to a permit request.

Harris’ speech will mark the first by a presidential candidate at the location since former President Donald Trump delivered remarks there on Jan. 6, 2021.

Representatives for the Harris-Walz campaign estimated some 20,000 participants would watch Harris during Tuesday evening’s address, which could lead to packed crowds at the Ellipse as well as portions of Southeast, Southwest and Northwest portions of the Washington Monument in D.C.

Officials with the National Park Service granted the campaign’s permit request Saturday, according to the document.

Overnight security is expected to remain at the location until the event ends Tuesday evening. The public gathering permit also explicitly prohibits a march from the Ellipse to another location.

During Tuesday’s address, officials close to the Harris campaign expect the vice president will reference the events that happened on Jan. 6, 2021, which included a march to the U.S. Capitol building and a deadly riot inside the halls of Congress.

The speech is also expected to serve as a final message before next week’s general election.

So far, both Harris and Trump remain in a tightly contested race for the White House.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2024 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

‘My concerns are more for our service members’: Former Stars and Stripes editor on his and other firings

Former Stars and Stripe's Editor-in-Chief Eric Slavin speaks to WTOP's Ralph Fox. One of the Stars and Stripes staffers fired by the Pentagon said changes at the military newspaper could threaten its ability to cover news important to U.S. service members and their families. Eric Slavin, the newspaper’s editor-in-chief, was fired Friday. Stars and Stripes publisher Max Lederer and Middle East reporter Lara Korte also lost their jobs. "It was quite a shock," Slavin told WTOP's Ralph Fox. "It's not what I expected when I woke up on Friday, but really concerns are more for our service members and our families and what may lay ahead."
Read Next Story