Skip to main content

Harry Maguire ‘shocked and gutted’ to be left out of England’s World Cup squad

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester United defender Harry Maguire has been left out of England’s squad for this year’s World Cup.

The 33-year-old center back confirmed in a social media post Thursday that he is not part of Thomas Tuchel’s roster for the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico, saying he was “shocked and gutted” by the decision.

Tuchel is set to confirm his squad on Friday.

Maguire helped England reach the World Cup semifinals in 2018 and the final of the 2020 European Championship. He was also in the England team that reached the quarterfinals of the last World Cup in Qatar. Injury ruled him out of Euro 2024.

“I was confident I could’ve played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best,” he said.

Maguire was handed his first call-up by Tuchel in March after helping revive United’s season following the departure of former coach Ruben Amorim.

Prior to that, he had been frozen out of the national team since September 2024.

Maguire has made 66 appearances for his country and scored seven goals. He made his debut in 2017 and his most-recent appearance was in the team’s 1-0 loss to Japan in March.

Having been an integral part of former England manager Gareth Southgate’s team, Maguire has fallen behind players like Marc Guehi and Ezri Konsa in recent years.

___

AP World Cup: https://apnews.com/hub/fifa-world-cup

Clear bags only, TSA-style screening and what to know ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix

The U.S. Secret Service wants those heading to the Freedom 250 Grand Prix what to expect when they go through the security checkpoints Sunday. Tara McLeese, special agent in charge of the Secret Service Washington Field Office, told WTOP that they've been working for months on the plan to secure the venue for the event as a presidential site. "Our mission is to ensure the safety of every Secret Service protectee while also ensuring a swift screening and access for thousands of ticketed attendees," she said. She said they're expecting President Donald Trump, several members of his family, and several members of the cabinet at the Grand Prix. 
Read Next Story