Skip to main content

Man who shot child, couple in Laurel was seeking ex-girlfriend, police say

The Maryland man suspected of opening fire inside a Laurel home Monday night, leaving one couple dead and a child with life-threatening injuries before fatally shooting himself, was looking for his former girlfriend, according to Anne Arundel County police.

In a release, authorities said Shawn Price, 57, of Welcome, Maryland, was trying to reconcile his relationship with his ex after issues arose, but she refused contact.

Police said Price drove to the area of her Federalsburg South home Monday night, entered and “called for the ex-girlfriend.”

That’s when Price shot and killed Ryan Lee Sr., 31, as well as Ivania Lee, 31, and shot and critically injured the young child. Price then shot and killed himself, according to police.

The Lees were from a nearby address, authorities said. Ryan Lee was found dead on a sidewalk outside. Ivania Lee was found dead inside the home where the shooting started.

“A handgun was located next to Shawn Price and his injuries were consistent with the characteristics of a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” police said.

They added that they were able to find a witness who had been inside the home and was able to flee with another young child, who was not injured.

Anne Arundel Police Chief Amal Awad said the incident “sickens all of us” during a Tuesday briefing with County Executive Steuart Pittman posted to Facebook.

“Again, this was a very traumatic and devastating, not only incident, but scene,” Awad said. “It sickens all of us.”

She said the child who was shot is out of surgery and remains in critical but stable condition.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the Lee family.

China abruptly postpones ambitious Chang’e-7 lunar mission launch

HAIKOU, China (AP) — China said on Sunday it was postponing its planned ambitious Chang’e-7 lunar mission, which was set to carry out explorations including searching for water ice on the moon. The Chang’e-7 spacecraft was originally set to lift off in the coming days from the Wenchang Space Launch Site on China’s southern Hainan island. The mission does not meet the launch conditions, said the China Manned Space Agency in a brief statement, and “cannot take place during the planned window this year.” The decision was made following a “comprehensive assessment,” the agency added, and was based on the principles of “prudence, reliability and absolute mission success.” It did not further elaborate on the reasons behind the decision.
Read Next Story