Skip to main content

Judge won’t block Honeywell health screenings

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal judge on Monday said Honeywell Inc. could begin penalizing workers who refuse to take medical or biometric tests.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission had asked the judge to block the program. But U.S. District Judge Ann Montgomery denied the agency’s request for a temporary restraining order at a hearing, Minnesota Public Radio News (http://bit.ly/1GhWjLi ) reported.

The tests, required by Honeywell in a recent policy change, measure blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose, as well as check for signs that an employee has been smoking. Employees who decline to take the tests could be fined up to $4,000 in surcharges and increased health costs.

In a statement, Honeywell says it’s pleased the policy will continue in 2015.

“Honeywell wants its employees to be well informed about their health status not only because it promotes their well-being, but also because we don’t believe it’s fair to the employees who do work to lead healthier lifestyles to subsidize the health care premiums for those who do not,” Honeywell said.

The EEOC filed the lawsuit last month in Minneapolis on behalf of two Minnesota employees of Honeywell. The case could define how far an employer can go in shifting health care costs to employees based on their behavior.

The federal agency claims Honeywell’s policy violates the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act. Honeywell contends the program is designed to encourage employees to live healthier lifestyles and to lower health care costs.

The case will continue moving forward in court.

The Morristown, New Jersey-based company began in Minneapolis and is still a major employer in the Twin Cities area.

___

Information from: Minnesota Public Radio News, http://www.mprnews.org

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

School bus emergency? Fairfax County students have a plan to handle it

This story is part of WTOP’s 2026 Back to School coverage. The wheels on the bus will soon be going round and round again in Fairfax County, Virginia, and some of its young riders are learning what to do if there’s an emergency on the way to school. The annual Safety Patrol Training Camp, hosted by Fairfax County Public Schools' Office of Transportation Services, combined hands-on exercises with classroom lessons to teach students how to keep calm during emergencies on buses. The training can feel remarkably realistic, with overturned school buses on their side or completely upside down in the middle of the county bus depot. Other buses, right side up, fill with smoke that is water-based but mimics the intensity of a bus overheating.
Read Next Story