Skip to main content

How is coronavirus outbreak impacting Easter spending?

Easter and the days leading up to the holiday are the holiest dates on the Christian calendar.

In celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the holiday usually means churches attract their biggest crowds of the year.

With the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, most cities and states are under mandatory stay-at-home orders, and those orders are having an impact on the spending Americans would normally undertake for the holiday.

A new survey from WalletHub, a consumer credit and financial information website, found that 68% of those who responded said their Easter spending will be impacted by the outbreak.

Specifically, WalletHub asked what items people would spend less, or no, money purchasing this year. The survey found 42% will not purchase any Easter candy. A similar number also said they will forego buying Easter outfits and food specifically for an Easter meal.

Monetary donations to churches are also expected to take a hit this year, though 66% intend to donate a similar amount this year, compared to last year. About 27% plan to donate less this Easter. More than 1-in-4 surveyed said they would donate at least part of their coronavirus stimulus check to a religious organization.

Many Americans are still worried about their own financial situation as the coronavirus outbreak continues. But 68% of those asked in the survey said they are actually more worried about COVID-19 itself than the U.S. economy.

One positive to the pandemic, is that more Americans are feeling appreciative of personal feelings. Of those who responded, 40% said they are most grateful for their family, with 30% grateful for their health, and 13% for their freedom.

You can read the full survey here.

More Coronavirus News

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble's 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians' Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union's three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March to force out music director Andris Nelsons next summer after 13 seasons. “In spite of the turmoil of the last six months caused by BSO’s leadership decision to terminate the orchestra’s musical director, Andris Nelsons, they have failed to agree to a collective bargaining agreement that would begin to restore the trust that they have destroyed and offer a fair contract to the musicians who are at the heart and soul of the BSO,” the union said in a statement.
Read Next Story