Skip to main content

Officer struck by car responding to report of theft in Prince George’s Co.

Two people have been arrested and a third is still wanted by police after an officer was struck by a car while responding to a report of theft in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Wednesday. (Courtesy NBC Washington)
Two people have been arrested and a third is still wanted by police after an officer was struck by a car while responding to a report of theft in Prince George’s County, Maryland, on Wednesday. According to police, around 10:30 a.m., a caller reported that their car was broken into in D.C. and their wallet was stolen. A few minutes later, they reported that one of their credit cards had been used at a location on the 4900 block of Beech Road, police said. Two officers responding to the area found an industrial area with a nearby garage. Shortly after arriving, a black Dodge Charger with three people inside left the garage at a high rate of speed and struck one of the officers, sending them up over the hood of the car. The other officer then fired their weapon into the car as it drove off.

X

To view this content from @kingWTOP on X, click here.

Police said they do not believe anyone was struck by the bullet, but that is still being determined. The officers then began a vehicle pursuit, which ended when the three occupants of the Charger bailed out of the car and fled on foot. Two of the suspects were arrested, while the third fled. Police described the third suspect as a “tall Black male.” During the arrests, one of the suspects was tased and the other suffered a “medical emergency,” according to police, and both were taken to a nearby hospital. Anthony Schartner with Prince George’s County police said they are both expected to be released shortly. The officer was taken to a hospital with minor injuries and was discharged shortly thereafter. Schartner said he was sent home to recover. Police are not yet sure if the occupants of the Charger were involved with the theft in D.C. The Charger had been reported stolen from the District. Schartner said that weapon parts were visible inside the vehicle, but it was unclear whether any of the suspects, including the man who got away, were armed. WTOP’s Thomas Robertson contributed to this report.

Fentanyl seizures plummet as Trump administration shifts focus to immigration

WASHINGTON — Fentanyl seizures decreased by 39% during the first year of the second Trump administration after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement shifted the Department of Homeland Security’s criminal investigations arm to conducting immigration enforcement, according to a report government investigators published Friday.  Agents with Homeland Security Investigations, a subagency of DHS’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement, reported an “all hands-on deck” environment toward immigration enforcement began in January 2025, according to the DHS Office of Inspector General report. “With ICE dedicating more staff hours to immigration investigations, staffing hours for fentanyl investigations declined,” the report said. The report found that the hours dedicated to fentanyl investigations for fiscal 2025 declined by more than 250,000 hours, or 31%, compared to fiscal 2024.
Read Next Story