Skip to main content

Tractor-trailer fire in Frederick Co. causes massive I-270 southbound delays

[connatix_element_embed script_id=b57759ab4f014a278a5800c1867796af player_id=7bc491b4-922b-4e8d-b1b1-150648e80442 video_id=0b27d98f-e5db-44f4-9b3f-73b6a07bf3b4 align=right]

Listen to WTOP online and on the radio at 103.5 FM or 107.7 FM for traffic and weather news on the 8s.

A massive tractor-trailer fire caused traffic delays for hours Wednesday morning on Interstate 270 in Frederick County, Maryland.

All southbound lanes were closed for around eight hours while crews cleaned up from the fire. Traffic is getting by the scene and all lanes reopened by 5 p.m., according to Maryland State Police.

Before 6 a.m., a driver pulled up beside the tractor-trailer and motioned that the vehicle was on fire near mile marker 25 on southbound I-270, according to Maryland State Police.

“When the driver pulled over, the tractor-trailer became fully engulfed in flames,” police told WTOP.

Listeners who called the WTOP Traffic Center described the tractor-trailer as completely “ablaze”

When Frederick County fire and rescue crews arrived on the scene at approximately 5:57 a.m. to put out the fire, the driver was already out of the vehicle, officials said.

Most of the fire had been extinguished by 7:22 a.m., with some hotspots remaining, according to the fire department. After the bulk of the flames were knocked down, crews moved the cargo inside of the truck out onto the roadway to prevent it from reigniting, a fire spokeswoman told WTOP.

Fire crews cleared the scene at 12:15 p.m and investigators don’t believe anything hazardous was on the truck, the spokeswoman told WTOP.

Moving the truck’s contents out of the roadway extended the closure for a couple of hours after the flames were extinguished.

For much of the day, first responders diverted I-270 southbound traffic between Maryland Route 80 to Urbana on Exit 26 and Maryland Route 109 towards Hyattstown on Exit 22.

No one was reported injured.

This is a developing story. Stay with WTOP for updates.

[custom_gallery]

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2024 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Va. health dept. improves nursing home inspection backlog, reforms sanction criteria for facilities

Stories of neglect in care or unsanitary living situations have plagued several of Virginia’s nursing home facilities in recent years and data backs up a lapse in oversight by state agencies.  With reform efforts underway, the Virginia Department of Health officials said they aim to adopt sanction criteria by the end of the year to rein in bad actors and get troubled facilities back on track.  As of July, 58% of Virginia’s nursing homes were overdue for inspections and 68 of Virginia’s 289 nursing homes were found to have serious deficiencies, according to ProPublica. Several of the state’s flagged facilities with numerous deficiencies also had high staffing turnover rates.  The issue has been salient among various healthcare spaces, including VDH. 
Read Next Story