Skip to main content

No fans in stands at Washington Football Team games

The Washington Football Team is still scheduled to open the 2020 NFL season Sept. 13 at home against the Eagles, but the team says games at FedEx Field this year will be played without fans.

In a statement the Washington Football Team said it made the decision to go without spectators at home games after discussions with officials from Maryland and Prince George’s County.

“This decision was not an easy one, but after several discussions with federal, state and local officials – along with input from some of the nation’s foremost medical experts, based right here in the nation’s capital – we are confident that it is the right one. We are working to find ways to make our fans’ presence felt in new and innovative ways for 2020 and can’t wait to welcome the community through the gates as soon as it’s safe,” owner Dan Snyder said.

Previously, the Washington Football Team had reached out to season ticket holders to let them know they would not be required to pay for their seats, if they decided they did not want to come to games at FedEx Field.

Now the club has made the decision to go without fans for home games and said its customer service team will be prepared to answer questions from those who have purchased single-game tickets for the 2020 season. Information will be available on the tickets section of WashingtonFootball.com.

While the plan right now is to go the entire 2020 season without fans at FedEx Field, the Washington Football Team said the decision will be re-evaluated by all parties should the situation surrounding the pandemic improve over the course of the season.

‘Dream within a dream’ for pass rusher Von Miller to join his hometown Dallas Cowboys

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) — Growing up in the suburbs of Dallas, Von Miller's parents were an embodiment of the “love ‘em or hate ’em” reaction the Cowboys create in seemingly every NFL fan. One of his formative memories was seeing his father celebrating the Cowboys' success watching a game on TV. His mother, however, is not a fan. "This should be the first year where everybody’s unified on one team, so it’s pretty cool to have everybody in blue,” Miller said at an introductory news conference after signing a one-year contract that could be worth up to $7.5 million with his hometown team on Tuesday, with the 37-year-old standout pass rusher hoping to return them to their Super Bowl-winning heights of his childhood. Miller had previous conversations about joining the Cowboys, including after claiming his second Lombardi Trophy with the Los Angeles Rams following the 2021 season. He ended up signing with the Buffalo Bills, where he spent three years, before joining the Washington Commanders last season. This time around, everything lined up.
Read Next Story