Skip to main content

Virginia Beach: Full file on mass shooting won’t be released

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The Virginia Beach Police Department says it will not release its complete investigative file into last year’s mass shooting when it’s finished.

The city said it will instead release a summary of its findings.

The Virginian-Pilot reported Tuesday that city officials will likely complete their final investigative report this fall.

Last year’s shooting by a city employee killed 12 people and critically injured four others.

Some of the victims’ families say the entire file should be released. Kevin Martingayle, an attorney for the widower of victim Kate Nixon, said there is no reason to keep the file secret because the shooter is dead.

Dulles airport leaders clarify who will pay for $22B, 15-year makeover

After President Donald Trump announced a more than $22 billion makeover of Dulles International Airport, questions quickly followed: Would taxpayers end up footing the bill? Or travelers? Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority leaders addressed the questions during a meeting Wednesday at which the board approved the first $15.5 billion piece of the project. "There have been statements out in the public that this is tax money. This is not tax money," MWAA President and CEO Jack Potter said. Funding will come from airport revenue sources such as parking fees and concession sales, along with airline payments, passenger facility charges and $14.2 billion in municipal bonds, said Andy Rountree, WMAA's chief financial officer.
Read Next Story