Skip to main content

Newspaper wins battle over records on prison strip searches

NORFOLK, Va. — A judge has ruled that prison officials in Virginia broke the law when they “willingly and knowingly” withheld information about strip searches.

The Virginian-Pilot reported Wednesday that a Norfolk Circuit judge ruled in the newspaper’s favor in a lawsuit filed over strip search records.

Pilot reporter Gary Harki requested records that included the names of prisoner visitors who’d been strip searched as well as those who were banned for refusing to be strip searched.

Prison officials had been strip searching visitors who were anywhere form the age of 1 to 83.

Officials also had threatened to permanently ban them from visiting prisoners if they refused to be searched. The articles led to new state laws.

Dulles airport leaders clarify who will pay for $22B, 15-year makeover

After President Donald Trump announced a more than $22 billion makeover of Dulles International Airport, questions quickly followed: Would taxpayers end up footing the bill? Or travelers? Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority leaders addressed the questions during a meeting Wednesday at which the board approved the first $15.5 billion piece of the project. "There have been statements out in the public that this is tax money. This is not tax money," MWAA President and CEO Jack Potter said. Funding will come from airport revenue sources such as parking fees and concession sales, along with airline payments, passenger facility charges and $14.2 billion in municipal bonds, said Andy Rountree, WMAA's chief financial officer.
Read Next Story