Skip to main content

Carjacking suspect shot by Prince George’s Co. police, another on the run

One man was shot by an officer and another is still being sought by police after an attempted carjacking in Prince George’s County, Maryland, on Sept. 26, 2021. (WTOP/Shayna Estulin)
A carjacking suspect was shot and injured by a Prince George’s County police officer Sunday morning in Temple Hills, Maryland, while a second suspect remains on the run. According to Prince George’s County Police Chief Malik Aziz, an officer responded to the report of a carjacking at approximately 11:12 a.m. Sunday in the 3100 block of Branch Avenue, in a parking lot. Once on the scene, the police officer encountered two men — one matched the description a caller gave to police. The two men then took off running, Aziz said. While the officer lost track of the individual who matched the caller’s description, he came upon the second suspect. Aziz said the officer confronted the suspect, who had a weapon. “That suspect had a weapon on his person. That engagement resulted in the involved police officer discharging his weapon, striking the suspect the lower body,” Aziz said. An earlier account on Twitter said the suspect pulled a handgun from his waistband.

X

To view this content from @PGPDNews on X, click here.

The suspect was taken to an area hospital in stable condition, and the handgun was recovered on the scene, police said. “The second individual continued running and we are continuing to search for him,” police said on Twitter.

X

To view this content from @PGPDNews on X, click here.

Neither officer was injured. The officer who shot the suspect is a 16-year police veteran assigned to the Bureau of Patrol, Aziz said. Police will be speaking to potential witnesses and will provide another update in a few days, they said. A map below shows the scene. [google_map latitude=”38.85138194312121″ longitude=”-76.95319764937732″ zoom=”13″ height=”300px” location_label=”Temple Hills, Md.” dynamic_map=”false”]

Prince George's schools focus on smoother bus rides after last year's bumps in the road

This story is part of WTOP’s 2026 Back to School coverage. Officials with Prince George's County Public Schools said this school year won't be a repeat of the start of last year, when school buses arrived late for some families or didn't show up at all.
Read Next Story