Skip to main content

In Cianci race, GOP opponent donates to Democrat

MICHELLE R. SMITH
Associated Press

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — The three-way race for mayor of Providence features twice-convicted felon and ex-Mayor Buddy Cianci making a comeback bid for a seventh term as an independent.

Now, it’s gotten even more unusual: The Republican candidate has given a $1,000 donation to the Democratic candidate.

Dan Harrop donated the maximum allowed under state law to Jorge Elorza about 10 days ago, Harrop said Monday.

“I think he is a good and honorable man. I disagree with him on many, many policy issues,” Harrop said of Elorza. “I am fourth in a three-man race. I’m behind the undecided voters. It’s clearly coming down to a race between the two of them.”

Harrop has repeatedly gone after Cianci in debates for the corruption that ran rampant under his two previous administrations. Cianci was forced from office in 1984 after being convicted of assault and then, after a comeback in 1990, he was convicted of racketeering conspiracy in 2002 and sent to prison for 4 1/2 years.

Harrop, a psychiatrist, said he would not drop out of the race or endorse Elorza, a law professor and former housing court judge. But when asked by The Associated Press if he would vote for Elorza, Harrop replied: “Ask me that later. I don’t know. I really don’t know at this point. I’ve got two weeks to make a decision.”

David Ortiz, Elorza’s campaign spokesman, said Elorza was pleased to receive the Republican’s donation.

“They happen to agree that Providence needs honest leadership moving forward,” Ortiz said.

Cianci called Harrop a nuisance who is not a legitimate candidate, and he released a statement asking Republicans to support him. Cianci said Harrop uses his debate appearances to throw bombs at him.

“It’s obvious that they’re in collusion together,” he said. “One of them can’t beat me, so the other says, ‘Let’s team up.'”

Harrop and Ortiz denied any collusion and said Elorza never asked Harrop for money. He said he had only spoken with Elorza and his campaign staff during debates, or chitchat during various campaign appearances. The only time it’s gone beyond that was when Elorza called him after his donation, Harrop said.

“He thanked me very much for my donation. I said I hoped he could put it to good use. He mentioned it had been a pleasure debating me,” Harrop said. “He treated me as if I was just a donor.”

Harrop’s donation was first reported by WPRI-TV.

Elorza began this month with much less campaign cash on hand than Cianci. While Cianci has been airing TV ads for weeks, Elorza has yet to run one.

The men are running to replace one-term Mayor Angel Taveras, who ran unsuccessfully for governor.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Congressional Democrats launch probe into ICE enforcement in Northern Virginia

For all the latest developments in Congress, follow WTOP Capitol Hill correspondent Mitchell Miller at Today on the Hill. Democratic members of Congress announced an investigation Wednesday into Immigration and Customers Enforcement in Northern Virginia, including a recent incident in which an agent pointed a gun at a woman in Bailey’s Crossroads. “We are opening this investigation because enough is enough when it comes to ICE brutality,” said Rep. Suhas Subramanyam, a Democrat who represents Virginia’s 10th District. Subramanyam and Virginia Rep. Don Beyer, who represents the 8th District, spoke outside the U.S. Capitol along with Carolina Molina, the U.S. citizen and Loudoun County resident who recorded her Aug. 10 encounter with ICE agents.
Read Next Story