Skip to main content

Family of mayor slain by cop awarded $97 million

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The family of a former small-town South Carolina mayor who authorities say was shot to death by a police officer he had complained about for aggressive behavior has been awarded $97 million in a federal wrongful death lawsuit.

Bert Reeves was shot in the chest with a service revolver belonging to Officer Randall Price in May 2011, along a rural dirt road. Price, who has not been charged in the death, is no longer a police officer. Authorities have said Reeves had objected after Price arrested an employee of his construction business.

Reeves’ family sued and multiple media outlets reported the jury Wednesday awarded $7.5 million actual damages, $60 million punitive damages against the town of Cottageville and $30 million punitive damages against Price. The family had said in the lawsuit that the town should never have hired Price after his troubled employment history in different departments, including being fired.

Family attorney Mullins McLeod told the jury that Price shot Reeves because the ex-mayor raised concerns about the officer’s behavior

Reeves wanted Price gone and Price retaliated, McLeod said.

“You certainly should be able to complain about a cop without fear of being killed,” McLeod told the jury.

Price’s attorney, Lake Summers, said the ex-Cottageville mayor suffered from bipolar disorder and was enraged when he confronted the officer. Summers said Price fired in self-defense. He would not talk about the jury award.

Though Price has not been charged in the death, McLeod said an investigation is ongoing. Investigators said it wasn’t clear how the two ended up on the dirt road near the town’s main thoroughfare where Reeves lived.

In February 2010, the Post and Courier of Charleston reported that Price insisted that he had been victimized by vendettas in the small towns where he cycled through eight jobs in 11 years.

Cottageville has several weeks to decide whether to appeal the decision.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Analysis: The world Washington built is fraying. What comes next?

The United States is confronting a global security environment that increasingly resembles the outcome its Cold War adversaries once hoped to produce: a divided West, weakened alliances, economic exhaustion, multiple simultaneous wars and declining confidence in American leadership. That does not mean today’s crises were orchestrated according to some surviving Soviet master plan. The Soviet Union is gone, and the threats facing Washington now come from several different states with different interests. But the strategic effect is strikingly familiar. Early NATO assessments of Soviet intentions warned that Moscow sought to weaken the democratic powers, deny the West a secure European base and ultimately exhaust North America economically. Now, NATO says Russia is again trying to reconfigure the Euro-Atlantic security order through military force, sabotage, cyberattacks, coercion and disinformation. The difference is that much of the pressure now confronting the West is occurring simultaneously — and some of the damage to alliance cohesion is self-inflicted.
Read Next Story