Skip to main content

EU foreign ministers reject travel ban

LUXEMBOURG (AP) — European officials are rejecting the idea of stopping direct flights from West Africa as a means of stopping the spread of Ebola.

Meeting in Luxembourg, the EU foreign ministers promised to play an “active role” in boosting the world’s response to the Ebola outbreak. They are setting out to put together more than $1.25 billion to fight Ebola in the African nations that have been hardest hit. So far, Europe’s anti-Ebola pledges stand at about half that amount.

As for the idea of a travel ban, France’s foreign minister says it would backfire. He says instead of traveling to Brussels or France, passengers from West Africa would fly first to Dubai or somewhere else, and “come in from there.” He says, “We would no longer be able to check anything.”

%@AP Links

131-a-17-(British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond, with reporters)-“and isolation facilities”-British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond says the European Union is seeking to find one billion euros to help fight Ebola in West African countries. (20 Oct 2014)

<

132-a-16-(Catherine Ashton, European Union High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, with reporters)-“own national security”-EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton urges the international community to work together to prevent the spread of Ebola. (20 Oct 2014)

<

APPHOTO VLM112: Dutch Foreign Minister Bert Koenders, center, speaks with Luxembourg’s Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn, second left, and British Foreign Minister Philip Hammond, right, during a round table meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg on Monday, Oct. 20, 2014. European Union nations are working to find funds to help fight Ebola in West Africa and streamline a common approach in dealing with the health crisis. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo) (20 Oct 2014)

<

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Congressional Democrats launch probe into ICE enforcement in Northern Virginia

For all the latest developments in Congress, follow WTOP Capitol Hill correspondent Mitchell Miller at Today on the Hill. Democratic members of Congress announced an investigation Wednesday into Immigration and Customers Enforcement in Northern Virginia, including a recent incident in which an agent pointed a gun at a woman in Bailey’s Crossroads. “We are opening this investigation because enough is enough when it comes to ICE brutality,” said Rep. Suhas Subramanyam, a Democrat who represents Virginia’s 10th District. Subramanyam and Virginia Rep. Don Beyer, who represents the 8th District, spoke outside the U.S. Capitol along with Carolina Molina, the U.S. citizen and Loudoun County resident who recorded her Aug. 10 encounter with ICE agents.
Read Next Story