Skip to main content

Cyprus to block Turkey’s EU bid over gas dispute

MENELAOS HADJICOSTIS
Associated Press

NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) — European Union member Cyprus will oppose any progress in Turkey’s ongoing talks to join the 28-nation bloc in response to a Turkish gas search in waters where Cyprus has already licensed companies to drill, an official said Tuesday.

The move is one of several new measures that the Cypriot government unveiled after accusing Turkey of stepping up its violation of the small country’s sovereign rights by dispatching a research ship off its southern coast.

Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades will also lodge a formal complaint against Turkey at an EU leaders’ meeting later this week, government spokesman Nicos Christodoulides said.

Formal complaints will also be lodged with the U.N. Division for Oceans and Law of the Sea, the International Maritime Organization and possibly with the U.N. Security Council, Christodoulides said. The attorney general and international law firms will look at possible legal action against anyone involved in the Turkey gas search.

Cyprus will also take actions at international organizations that would force “Turkey to incur a cost for its illegal actions,” Christodoulides said. He didn’t elaborate.

He said more measures will be announced “according to developments.”

Cyprus was split along ethnic lines in 1974 when Turkey invaded after a coup by supporters of a union with Greece. Turkey doesn’t recognize Cyprus as a state and opposes an offshore energy search by the internationally recognized Greek Cypriot government, saying that it ignores the rights of breakaway Turkish Cypriots.

Tensions flared earlier this month when Turkey announced its gas search plans, prompting Anastasiades to suspend U.N.-mediated reunification talks a few days before they were supposed to enter a more intensified phase.

Anastasiades said Sunday that he would be “unworthy of his public mandate” if he continued to negotiate “under threat.”

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1 dead, 1 hurt in possible house explosion in Annapolis

One person is dead and one is hurt after what investigators are calling a possible house explosion in Annapolis, Maryland, Wednesday afternoon. Fire crews arrived in the 1100 block of Green Holly Drive shortly after 12:20 p.m. after 911 calls poured in from neighbors, fire officials said. They found what they believed had been a two-story structure, with the second floor collapsed onto the first floor. "There was no fire present, just significant damage, including a debris field that extends about a half a block up the street," Assistant Anne Arundel County Fire Chief Larry Schultz said at a news conference.
Read Next Story