Skip to main content

California mayor resigns after injury car crash

MURRIETA, Calif. (AP) — The mayor of this Southern California city announced his resignation Monday in the wake of his arrest for an alleged drunken-driving crash that injured four cheerleaders.

Alan Long said he would step down from the City Council but only for the current term and he intends to seek a council seat in the Nov. 4 election.

Long, 44, said that he expected to be exonerated of wrongdoing but he wanted to avoid “even one hint of impropriety” during the legal process.

Long is retaining his job as a battalion chief with the Anaheim Fire Department while the investigation continues.

Long’s pickup truck rear-ended a car stopped at an intersection Thursday night, police said. The car was carrying high school cheerleaders and four of them, ages 14 to 17, received moderate to major injuries, authorities said.

Long has apologized for the accident.

A breath test showed that Long had a blood-alcohol level of .07, which is below the legal limit of .08 but the mayo seemed to be impaired and failed field sobriety tests, police said.

Long’s resignation is not an admission of guilt but “every place he goes, this comes up, and it casts aspersions upon the city,” Long’s attorney, Virginia Blumenthal, told the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/ZDDDE3 ).

“There are a lot of accidents that are not crimes,” she said. “Alcohol was consumed, but it’s our position that he was not under the influence of alcohol at the time he was driving.”

Murrieta is a Riverside County city of more than 100,000 people, located about 75 miles east of Los Angeles.

Long made national news in July when he encouraged residents to oppose a federal government plan to process Central American immigrants at the U.S. Border Patrol facility in Murrieta. Protesters blocked the road forced buses carrying immigrants to turn around.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1 dead, 1 hurt in possible house explosion in Annapolis

One person is dead and one is hurt after what investigators are calling a possible house explosion in Annapolis, Maryland, Wednesday afternoon. Fire crews arrived in the 1100 block of Green Holly Drive shortly after 12:20 p.m. after 911 calls poured in from neighbors, fire officials said. They found what they believed had been a two-story structure, with the second floor collapsed onto the first floor. "There was no fire present, just significant damage, including a debris field that extends about a half a block up the street," Assistant Anne Arundel County Fire Chief Larry Schultz said at a news conference.
Read Next Story