Skip to main content

Montgomery Council President Tom Hucker eyes campaign for county executive

This article was republished with permission from WTOP’s news partners at Maryland Matters. Read the story at Maryland Matters.

Montgomery County Council President Tom Hucker (D) announced Thursday that he had formed an “exploratory committee” in considering whether to challenge Democratic incumbent County Executive Marc Elrich (D) in 2022. (Maryland Matters/Bruce DePuyt)

This content was republished with permission from WTOP’s news partners at Maryland Matters. Sign up for Maryland Matters’ free email subscription today.

Frustrated by an incumbent whose leadership style he considers sluggish, Montgomery County Council President Tom Hucker (D) has formed an “exploratory” committee ahead of an expected bid to unseat County Executive Marc B. Elrich (D) in 2022.

Hucker is holding a campaign event at Kaldi’s Social House in Silver Spring tonight, a venue he chose because it is a Black- and immigrant-owned small business.

Hucker becomes the third Democrat to announce plans to challenge Elrich, who became the top official in the state’s largest county in 2018, following a narrow primary victory.

In considering whether to challenge Elrich, with whom he has a friendly relationship, Hucker has spoken extensively with associates from around Montgomery and others he befriended during his two terms in the House of Delegates.

Hucker’s council district includes the politically-active and liberal southeast corner of Montgomery County, an area that includes Takoma Park, where Elrich served as a city councilman before winning a county council seat.

Although the two men have overlapping bases of support and have worked together on countless issues, Hucker has been urged to forego a third term on the council because of frustrations with Elrich’s leadership style.

“He’s being urged by unions and business-leaders and everybody” to run, said a well-known, politically-active Democrat with whom Hucker has spoken.

Elrich won the 2018 primary by just 77 votes over businessman David Blair, taking 29.02% of the vote to Blair’s 28.96%.

He received 64% of the vote in a three-candidate general election campaign that included a long-serving Democrat, Council Member Nancy Floreen, who ran as an independent, and Republican Robin Ficker, a perennial candidate.

The activist — who spoke on condition of anonymity — said there is a broad belief among political insiders that Elrich could be vulnerable.

Elrich “hasn’t built out that 29% [and] Tom knows it,” he added. “There’s been a lack of purpose and immediacy by the county executive.”

Hucker, the founder of Progressive Maryland, is expected to focus on economic development, social justice and expanding the county’s transit network.

In an email to supporters on Thursday afternoon, he said he would be making a “special announcement.”

“Our county needs forward-thinking, progressive change,” Hucker wrote. “We can make it happen — but only with your support.” The announcement, an invitation to the rally, did not mention his plans to challenge Elrich.

Blair announced his plan to run for executive in March. The former CEO of a health care services company and a philanthropist, Blair spent more than $5 million on the 2018 race and is expected to dig deep again in next year’s battle.

Montgomery County Council member Hans Riemer (D) launched his campaign for county executive last month. Unlike Hucker, who could seek re-election to the council if he chose, Riemer is in his third term and cannot run again for his at-large seat because of Montgomery’s term-limits law.

In Montgomery County, Republicans are a non-factor in local elections. Whether the presence of so many primary challengers works to Elrich’s advantage won’t be known until Democratic voters go to the polls next June.

It took Elrich several tries to win a county council seat, but he was the top vote-getter in the 2010 and 2014 elections. He has strong ties to the county’s politically-powerful unions.

Elrich has generated headlines for his battles with Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan Jr. (R) over the state’s response to the pandemic, a controversial highway-widening project and other issues.

DC-area volunteers raising money for truck to support Ukraine war effort

Some D.C.-area residents are trying to raise enough money to send a specially equipped truck to Ukraine as part of a nationwide grassroots fundraising campaign. Bethesda, Maryland, resident Jeffrey Bloch is helping lead Maryland's effort through the 50 States for Ukraine campaign. The group is trying to raise $13,000 for a vehicle for use by a Ukrainian military unit. Funds raised through 50 States for Ukraine are used by the organization Car for Ukraine to purchase, modify and deliver vehicles. According to the fundraising website, efforts in neighboring D.C. and Virginia have already raised enough money to fund multiple vehicles. “These are not really the large military vehicles or tanks, things like that, that are normally associated with government aid packages, but they are a bit smaller vehicles that are not covered under these aid packages, but they're very urgently needed on the ground," Bloch said.
Read Next Story