Skip to main content

Maryland Comptroller Franchot tests positive for COVID-19

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland Comptroller and Democratic candidate for governor Peter Franchot has tested positive for COVID-19.

Franchot tweeted that he tested positive Friday night and was experiencing “very mild” symptoms. Franchot says he is vaccinated and boosted and will be quarantining at home.

Franchot is among the nine Democrats competing for the party’s nomination for governor after a 10th candidate suspended his bid last month.

Four Republicans are vying for the GOP nomination. Republican Gov. Larry Hogan is term-limited.

The primary election is July 19.

Maryland state education leaders will follow local districts on screen time policies

This story is part of WTOP’s 2026 Back to School coverage. Maryland Superintendent of Schools Carey Wright told reporters that the state won't be telling local school districts whether to limit screen time for instruction.
Read Next Story