Skip to main content

Survivors of newspaper shooting, victims’ relatives sue

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The families of five Maryland newspaper employees killed in a mass shooting in 2018 and most of the surviving employees who were in the Capital Gazette newsroom during the attack have filed two lawsuits alleging a parent company did not do enough to prevent the attack.

The Baltimore Sun, also named as a defendant, reports the lawsuits were unsealed Thursday.  They were filed last month along with a request to keep them sealed while the gunman’s trial played out.

A jury on Thursday found Jarrod Ramos criminally responsible. Ramos had a long-running grudge against the Annapolis newspaper.

Woman critically injured in domestic shooting in Bowie; suspect in custody

A woman is in critical condition after a shooting inside a Bowie, Maryland, home Thursday, police said. A caller reported the shooting at about 4:20 p.m., police said. Bowie police officers and Prince George’s County Fire and EMS went to the 8500 block of Myrtle Avenue and found a woman in a bedroom with a gunshot wound to her upper body. The first responders provided lifesaving care before she was taken to a hospital in critical condition, Bowie Deputy Police Chief Robert Liberati said during a briefing. Police arrested a suspect at the scene and found a weapon believed to have been used in the shooting. According to the police, the suspect and victim were in a romantic relationship.
Read Next Story