Skip to main content

Amid pandemic, retired doctor’s Forrest Gump-like walk for patient safety

A retired anesthesiologist who now heads a patient safety movement for a large hospital network in the D.C. area planned a full day of activities during Tuesday’s visit to the nation’s capital.

“We started walking from Arlington National Cemetery; we’re just passing the White House, on our way to the Capitol building, and eventually finish at the Nationals’ ballpark,” said Dr. David Mayer, CEO of the Patient Safety Movement Foundation and executive director for MedStar Institute for Quality and Safety.

“I’m trying to raise awareness about the third-leading cause of death in the United States, behind cancer and heart disease,” Mayer said. “And that’s preventable medical harm of patients and caregivers.”

Mayer said the coronavirus pandemic has put a spotlight on the need for patient and health care worker safety, since medical error is the cause of over 200,000 deaths in America each year.

“Back in February, when this pandemic was starting, many of us in health care realized it was going to be a serious issue,” Mayer said. “I wanted to do something to honor those on the front lines.

I saw the movie ‘Forrest Gump,’ and I decided to start walking.”

Amid his virtual walk across the country, Mayer plans to walk in all cities that have MLB teams.

“I’ve now walked over 1,100 miles in the last 170 straight days. So far, I’ve visited Phoenix, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and now Washington,” Mayer said, pausing for a brief WTOP interview with the White House visible over his shoulder.

Mayer plans to complete nearly 3,000 miles during the journey, and expects to finish in early 2021.

“We need to bring attention to the importance of improving the care system, support our health workforce and ensure better outcomes [of patients],” Mayer said.

Congressional Democrats launch probe into ICE enforcement in Northern Virginia

For all the latest developments in Congress, follow WTOP Capitol Hill correspondent Mitchell Miller at Today on the Hill. Democratic members of Congress announced an investigation Wednesday into Immigration and Customers Enforcement in Northern Virginia, including a recent incident in which an agent pointed a gun at a woman in Bailey’s Crossroads. “We are opening this investigation because enough is enough when it comes to ICE brutality,” said Rep. Suhas Subramanyam, a Democrat who represents Virginia’s 10th District. Subramanyam and Virginia Rep. Don Beyer, who represents the 8th District, spoke outside the U.S. Capitol along with Carolina Molina, the U.S. citizen and Loudoun County resident who recorded her Aug. 10 encounter with ICE agents.
Read Next Story