Skip to main content

America’s Independence Day Parade canceled due to extreme heat conditions

Organizers of America’s Independence Day Parade have canceled the annual event, citing dangerous heat conditions forecast for the D.C. region.

Related stories

It had been scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on the Fourth of July.

The decision follows an Extreme Heat Warning issued by the National Weather Service for the District of Columbia, where heat index values are expected to reach between 110 and 115 degrees at the scheduled 10:30 a.m. start time.

Parade organizers said the cancellation came after extensive consideration, with the safety of participants, spectators and staff serving as the top priority.

The parade is held annually as part of Fourth of July celebrations in the nation’s capital.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Guinness says DC’s Fourth of July broke world record for largest fireworks display

President Donald Trump said the nation's celebration of its 250th anniversary of independence would include the “LARGEST FIREWORKS SHOW IN HISTORY" in a statement made on social media weeks before the Fourth of July. That's a promise the president kept, according to Guinness World Records, launching a total number of 840,537 fireworks in the wee hours of July 5 after thunderstorms delayed the show.
Read Next Story