Skip to main content

Ravens defensive lineman Calais Campbell says football brings him joy amid family tragedy

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) — NFL veteran Calais Campbell knew he wanted to keep playing, even after a family tragedy this summer resulting in his mother’s death and his brother being charged with murder.

“I love the game of football a lot … it brings me joy,” the 39-year-old Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman said Tuesday in his first public remarks since his mother’s death. “It was a little harder training, but as far as football goes, I love this game a lot. And this is a very fun place for me to be. So playing football has been great for me.”

The Ravens signed the six-time Pro Bowler in April to a one-year deal for his 19th NFL season.

In late June, police found his 71-year-old mother dead at her home in Atlanta during a welfare check. Her 41-year-old son Ciarre Campbell was charged with murder after he was found with a knife, according to arrest warrants. The family told police that Ciarre struggles with mental illness.

The Ravens permitted Calais Campbell to miss the first few full-team practices of training camp. He participated in his first team session on Aug. 3, five days after the Ravens opened full-team camp.

“These last couple months have been pretty tough for me and my family, but we’re working through it,” Campbell said. “And I really appreciate all the love and support and the prayers that have been coming from all over, really, from all the NFL community. … Continue praying for us because we need it.”

Campbell, who will turn 40 on Sept. 1, previously played in Baltimore from 2020-2022, making his sixth and final Pro Bowl during his first season with the Ravens.

He returns to an organization with a different look, including first-year head coach Jesse Minter and a mostly new coaching staff.

“(He) brings great versatility along the D-line, is an unbelievable leader and mentor in that room and in the defensive room and with the team,” Minter said of Campbell, who has 117 career sacks in 278 NFL games, including 259 starts. “The timing of it obviously was really tough for him and his family. We allowed the first week or two of camp for him to really kind of work himself to get ready, as it affected his summer preparation, obviously. … I’m really happy that we have him.”

___

See AP’s full NFL coverage here

Falcons add three-time Pro Bowler Za’Darius Smith after James Pearce Jr. suspension

The Atlanta Falcons have signed defensive end Za'Darius Smith, the team said Tuesday. Smith, who somewhat abruptly announced his retirement last October, will boost a front that has recently lost Jalon Walker to a season-ending torn ACL and James Pearce Jr. to an eight-game suspension following his February arrest after a domestic dispute. Walker and Pearce accounted for nearly 30 percent of Atlanta's franchise-record 57 sacks last season. Smith, who is from Alabama, was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL draft after a four-year college career that included stints at East Mississippi Community College and the University of Kentucky. The three-time Pro Bowler has had stops with the Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles during his 12-year career.
Read Next Story