Skip to main content

Smithsonian votes to return most of its Benin bronzes to Nigeria

The Smithsonian Board of Regents voted to return 29 Benin bronzes to Nigeria on Monday.

According to a news release, the bronzes will be returned to Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments.



The Smithsonian Institution had already decided to return most of its collection of Benin bronzes to Nigeria back in March. The decision was first reported by The Washington Post.

The Benin bronzes are in a collection of thousands of items stolen during a British raid of the Benin Kingdom in 1897. The collection is composed of sculptures, plaques, ceremonial objects, alters, and other pieces dating from the mid-16th century to the early 17th-century, according to Smithsonian Magazine.

The Smithsonian adopted an ethical returns policy on April 29, which requires each of its museums to return collections “based on ethical considerations.”

In the case of the Benin bronzes, the board is required to approve the removal of the collection from the museum and return the items “when they are of significant monetary value, research or historical value, or when the deaccession might create significant public interest,” the release said.

The Smithsonian had a collection of 39 Benin bronzes, most of which were housed in the National Museum of African Art on the National Mall. They were taken off display in 2021, according to Smithsonian Magazine. There is no word on what will happen to the other 10 bronzes.

This is the most recent return by the Smithsonian Institution. Smithsonian Magazine reported the institution formally returned a pre-Inca chest ornament that dates back to between 800 B.C. and 1 A.D. last year. It had been on display at the National Museum of the American Indian.

Italian Carabinieri recover stolen Renoir, Cézanne and Matisse artworks worth millions

MILAN (AP) — Italian authorities recovered three artworks by Renoir, Cézanne and Matisse worth millions of euros that were stolen earlier this year from a private museum near the northern city of Parma, police said Friday. Five people were detained. A statement from the Italian Carabinieri’s art recovery squad said the artworks were discovered in the possession of one of the suspects during searches ordered by prosecutors in the Parma province and neighboring provinces. The five suspects detained are believed to belong to an organized crime group responsible for numerous thefts of homes, businesses and other properties. Police also recovered stolen goods worth tens of thousands of euros. Meanwhile, Brazilian police said late Thursday they located eight stolen works by Matisse following an apartment raid outside Sao Paulo. There were no apparent links between the two thefts. The three artworks recovered in Italy are “Fish,” a painting by Auguste Renoir, “Still Life with Cherries,” a pencil and watercolor by Paul Cézanne, and “Odalisque on the Terrace,” a color aqatint by Henri Matisse. Authorities said the Cézanne was valued at 6 million euros ($7 million), the Renoir at 3 million euros ($3.5 million), and the Matisse at 20,000 euros ($23,000).
Read Next Story