Skip to main content

St. Lawrence Seaway opens, officials mark 60th anniversary

MASSENA, N.Y. (AP) — The St. Lawrence Seaway’s 2019 navigation season has started with American and Canadian officials marking the binational waterway’s 60th anniversary.

The Washington, D.C.-based Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corp. says executives from the agency and U.S. transportation officials joined their Canadian counterparts Tuesday at the St. Lambert Lock in Montreal to mark the anniversary and the waterway’s opening for the season.

The U.S. operates the seaway with the Canadian St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corp.

With its opening in 1959, the St. Lawrence Seaway linked the Great Lakes region and North America’s heartland to global markets. Since then, the engineering marvel has seen nearly 3 billion tons of cargo move through the waterway.

The seaway opened to commercial shipping in April 1959.

A dispute about fact vs. fiction at the trial over Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing in Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A prosecutor said Monday that while few have been willing to speak about the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur, Duane “Keffe D” Davis is the “one person who has a hard time being silent.” “Let’s be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation of the beating of his nephew,” Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors at the start of Davis' Las Vegas trial. “Remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself.” Davis, 63, could get life in prison if he's convicted of murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. His lawyer in the defense opening called the prosecution's narrative “fiction.” Palal showed jurors video of Shakur’s entourage attacking Davis’ nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson outside the boxing match at the MGM Grand hours before the shooting on Sept. 7, 1996.
Read Next Story